8.13.2008

Another close call...

The plan was to ride for 2 hours and then run 10 miles. The ride was going well, then with 15 minutes left it started pouring. As Forrest Gump would say, this was stinging rain. As I turned onto Seminole, some guy in a pickup truck passed me and then pulled in front of me and hit the brakes so hard the back of his truck was sliding around. My brakes don't work that well when they're wet and I didn't want to brake so hard I skid because I figured I would either crash or flatten my tires - screwed either way. I managed to stop without hitting the truck, but it was really close. He rolled down his window and offered me a ride.

"No thanks. I'm fine."

"But you're all wet."

I wanted to tell him that's why I didn't need a ride. I needed one 5 minutes earlier. I also wanted to tell him he's a dumbass for braking so hard in front of a cyclist, but I wasn't in the mood. I wasn't enjoying my workout and I was very irritated by him. I appreciate the gesture, but that's not the way to go about it. As soon as he drove away the rain let up.

The ride:

Entire workout (202 watts):
Duration: 2:04:44 (2:04:46)
Work: 1514 kJ
TSS: 127.2 (intensity factor 0.782)
Norm Power: 216
VI: 1.07
Pw:HR: -2.32%
Pa:HR: -4.26%
Distance: 41.113 mi

Min Max Avg
Power: 0 488 202 watts
Heart Rate: 74 167 137 bpm
Cadence: 29 178 84 rpm
Speed: 0 36 19.8 mph
Pace 1:40 0:00 3:02 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 286 74 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 925 210 lb-in


The run:


2 comments:

bigmike600 said...

You think you had a close one...go check out www.spandexking.blogspot.com The guy hit a deer on his tri bike at 40 MPH a couple days ago and he is signed up for IMWI. All that work and now he can't race. He has some pics of his bike. Sounds like the taper is the most dangerous part of training!!

I can see by your heart rate on that run that you are in great shape. That was a perfect run in terms of heart rate and pace. You were dead on.

You're a natural man.

Unknown said...

I just hate it when cars don't just do what I expect cars to be doing..... go ahead and pass me, don't stop in the middle of the road to let me cross the street, etc.
As long as they are watching where I am at I would rather they just go about their thing and leave me be, either running or biking, so they don't create a hazard to me or themselves just by trying to be nice.