1.19.2008

The right direction


The temp: -2. The run: 45 minutes. The gear: everything I own.

Believe it or not, it wasn't that bad. I actually overdressed and was sweating a lot. And those lobster gloves are so ridiculously warm my hands were soaked with sweat the whole time.

It wasn't my best run ever, but I didn't die out there which is all I was really hoping for. After my run, Cheri had lunch ready for me. Excellente.

This morning, before my run, I competed in the second indoor TT at SBR Coaching. It went well, but I didn't quite hit my goal. I think my goal was a little too lofty so I'm pretty happy with my performance. I started with a better warm up this time. I rode for about a half hour with a 5 minute interval at my threshold power and a 2 minute interval at about 20% above my threshold. This really helped because the effort of the TT didn't feel as tough since I had already hit those power levels in my warm up.

I paced myself better this time and played it smart. I went out a little slower and let my power build up. I wanted to average 300 watts, but I fell a little short. I finished with a 292 average, which is up from 277 at the first TT. I dropped 16 seconds off my time and ended with a 16:20. And I weighed in at 2 pounds less, so I increased my power to weight ratio so I'm headed in the right direction.

Last time I finished in 3rd place, but this time I'll end up in 5th or worse. One guy in the first heat beat my time, and 3 guys in the 3rd heat beat my time. One of the guys in the 3rd heat was an animal and finished in 15:17. or 15:18. He averaged almost 400 watts and just short of 25 mph. It was an impressive ride, that's for sure.

There are 2 more Indoor TTs so I think I'm going to try to bring my time down to around 16:10 next time and then see if I can break 16 minutes on the last one. No chance of catching the leaders and taking home some cash...unless they don't show up.

2 comments:

Burrito Eater said...

That best be your new hub photo at work! Rock that!

abby said...

the lobster gloves are awesome!