1.06.2008

Healthy Living


One of my resolutions this year is to cook more. I've gotten lazy the last few years and I haven't been making enough good, healthy meals. So this year I vow to make that change.

Today was a good start. Cheri and I typically make eggs and browns on Sunday mornings, but today we mixed it up a bit. Instead of fried eggs, we went with omelets. Then we cooked some grape tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled them with fresh basil. Then we added some pineapple, raspberries and blackberries and a glass of OJ. This was our first time cooking the grape tomatoes, and we both agreed that they tasted good but weren't great for breakfast. We'll have to try them again as a topping on a salad or pasta.

Lunch was excellent. We made salads with loads of veggies...romaine, frisee, radicchio, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, salad seasonings, grilled chicken and some light salad dressing (I went with light ranch, Cheri chose a light raspberry vinaigrette). On the side we had sliced apples and oranges.

Dinner...Turkey burgers on wheat buns, white cheddar mac and cheese, peaches, pineapple, melon and raspberries. Excellente.

Today Cheri and I went for another run - her second winter run - and this one went much better than last week. It's about 20 degrees warmer than last week so the weather wasn't such an issue for her and she's gotten in a few more miles (treadmill) since then so her fitness is coming back. After the run, I went to the pool.

Yesterday, I went to SBR Coaching to ride the Computrainer for a couple of hours. I wanted to do the Janesville Tri course followed by the Diamond in the Rough tri course that I did last time, but SBR wasn't able to convert my gps file of the Janesville tri so I had to pick a different route. I went with the Verona loop of the Wisconsin Ironman course. It was about 42 miles and it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was the toughest workout I've had on the bike since mid-September. It felt great to work that hard, but I was completely spent. I had a swim workout planned for after the ride, so I decided to take it easy and not push the pace too hard in the pool since I was so tired. It was a pretty good workout considering how tired I was.

We had some serious fog today, so bad that there was a massive pileup on the Interstate that has the Interstate closed right now.

1 comment:

abby said...

nice job to you both. you made me really want some fruit, so i went to the store and bought some. man is it expensive.