10.01.2007

Rest days are tough

What a boring day. I can't wait to get back to working out. It's only been 24 hours, but it feels like I haven't worked out in a while. Luckily, I don't need to take any more rest days for a few weeks. Recovery days are much more fun than all out rest days. Tomorrow is a recovery day. Only an hour of working out - swimming.

I went to physical therapy today for my knee, and the doc was actually helpful...I think. We'll see. He didn't tell me to stop running, which was good because there's no way I'm taking time off. That's not an option. He thinks my injury stems from my left side not being as flexible as my right, especially in my hips. I overcompensate for that when I run and that's putting stress on my joints, tendons, muscles...you name it.

So I have some stretches I have to do everyday. I also need to massage the tendon twice a week, buy new running shoes and get some supportive insoles for my everyday shoes. That's it. That's what he prescribed. I guess we'll see if it helps. If not, then we're moving on to more aggressive treatments. Hopefully something involving electricity. I don't know why, but I'm convinced high voltage is the cure. It will at least deaden the pain.

He also said he thinks I have a high tolerance for pain, which isn't necessarily a good thing. He did some tests on my tendons where he applied pressure to them, and he said most people squirm in pain when he does that. I barely felt it. He said people with a high pain threshold are very susceptible to serious injuries because they can't tell they're injuring themselves until it's serious. So I need to listen to my body and take small aches and pains more seriously than I typically do. That's going to be tough. I prefer to ignore the pain.

On to another subject...someone needs to force Cost Cutters out of business because that's the only way I'll stop going. And I need to stop going. I hate making appointments for anything and that includes haircuts. So I go across the street to Cost Cutters for the inevitable bad haircut. Today's was worse than usual. It's a good thing I workout a lot and my workouts include a helmet, visor or swim cap. Maybe I should just shave my head and get it over with. That place is a like crack. I know it's bad for me, but I can't stop.

No comments: