4.12.2008

Worst ride ever?


This was a stressful week at work. I'm on vacation next week (and the weather is looking really good) so I had a ton of stuff to get done by the end of the week. By the end of the day Friday, all I wanted to do was start my vacation by going for a bike ride. The weather was 45 degrees and rainy, but I didn't care.

I headed out for a two hour out and back loop on the IM course. My raincoat was keeping me warm and everything was great...until mile 13. A flat. I don't know what it is with wheels on my Fastback, but tires are really hard to change. Any other wheels and I'm okay, but those wheels are a real struggle for me. So I fought with the tire for about 10 or 15 minutes on the side of the road in the cold rain.

After I got the tire fixed I decided to head home. 7 miles from home, flat number 2. I didn't have a second tube so I just kept on riding. I was afraid that sitting down would put too much weight on the rear wheel and destroy the rim, so I stood the whole way home. Of course, the rain picked up and the temperature dropped.

Other than the Mt. Evans Hillclimb (pictured) this was my worst ride ever. What a way to start my vacation.

No comments: