2.03.2008

G-Hogs Day!


I hope everyone had a great G-hogs day. It's my favorite holiday because it's all about the end of winter and the beginning of spring. Warm sunshine, green grass. I can't wait.

Today was the end of my high volum
e week for month 2, so now I get an easy week to get a little rest and recovery. This was a good, hard week and I got in some good base training. Friday, I spent 2.5 hours on the trainer doing an endurance/tempo ride. I started with a 15 minute warm up, then alternated between 20 minute intervals in my endurance power zone and my tempo power zone and ended with a 15 minute cool down. You'd think 2.5 hours on the trainer would be absolute torture, but I've gotten used to 20 minute intervals so as long as I focus only on the interval I'm doing and don't think about the total time it's not so bad.



Then Saturday I did a similar endurance/tempo workout for 1 hour and 45 minutes. That's 4 hours and 15 minutes on the trainer in 24 hours. Definitely a record for me. It's not easy spending that much time on the trainer, but I'm confident it will pay off this spring.

Saturday, Cheri and I went for a 45 minute run that turned out to be a little tougher than Cheri thought it would be. This was her first time running while it was snowing, and we were running through an inch of slippery snow while getting pelted in the face with fresh snow. She was a trooper and kept pushing hard and kept her pace up (and steady the whole run which is a sign the base training she's doing on the treadmill is paying off), but she's paying the price a bit today with sore legs.

But her legs weren't too sore to go swimming with me this morning, which always makes swimming more fun because she likes to swim behind me and try to touch my toes. If it doesn't make me laugh, it makes me swim faster. Either way, it's more fun than swimming alone. Then I headed out for a one hour run, my longest run since returning from my knee injury (I figure my knee is about 95% right now so it's healing well).

Weekly Totals
Total Time: 15:33:19
Swim: 3:45 (9000 yards)
Bike: 8:02:43 (147.66 miles)
Run: 3:45:36 (24.01 miles)

3 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice weekly mileage!! Well done!

Steve Stenzel said...

I just saw you're signed up for IM WI. I did that last year. What a trip!! Have you heard of WIBA (WI Ironman Brick Adventure)? A bunch of folks get together mid-summer to ride the course. My wife and I have done it these last 2 years. It's blast!

Mike said...

Hey Steve-

I haven't heard of WIBA, but I just checked out your blog entry about it and it sounds fun...good training too. I might have to do that this year. Thanks.