12.10.2010

Nothing Ventured...


...nothing gained.  You've probably heard the saying plenty of times.  Growing up, my parents had a sign saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" hanging above the toilet, their version of toilet humor.  

By now the saying is old and a little cheesy, but it still holds true.  

Last night my new headlamp showed up....so did a few inches of snow.

I had a Princeton Tec headlamp, and the batteries corroded over the summer and destroyed my lamp.  So I bought the same lamp, except this one has a much smaller battery pack and takes lithium batteries.  Check out how small the battery pack is...


This lamp is really nice.  It's really light, and I barely noticed it on my run.  And it puts off plenty of light so visibility isn't an issue.  I wish I had ordered it a few weeks ago because I had a few runs where I had a tough time seeing the road.

Headlamp and reflective vest...ready to run at night.


With my new headlamp, I ventured out into the snowstorm for a 5 mile run.  I'm not a big fan of winter, and I hate cold weather, but I love running when it's snowing.  Some of my favorite runs were on the bike path at lunch in a heavy snowstorm at my last job.  Here's a picture I took on one of my bike path runs....




I didn't take my camera with me last night, but I did snap a picture before I ventured out....




Last night's run wasn't as peaceful as running on a bike path covered in snow, but it was still a great run.  I had a lot more traffic to deal with, but that just adds to the adventure.  I'm sure people think I'm crazy running in the snow, but I think it's fun.  It's always the best in December when the snow is clean and white and the streets are lined with x-mas lights.  And when there are no cars coming, all you can hear is the snow crunching under your feet.  

It seems weird to run in a snowstorm, but some of my most memorable runs have been in snowstorms. Tonight's storm was pretty mild, but there's talk of a big storm this weekend.  I'm already looking forward to my weekend run, and I can't decide where I want to run.  Maybe I'll venture out into the middle of nowhere with my snowshoes. 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
 
 

2 comments:

TriGuy23 said...

Good stuff! Keep up the hard work, you will get there!

smartwool said...

Cool stuff..Planning to buy something like that too..