10.04.2009

And so it begins...



My taper, that is. I just finished my last big weekend and now the next three weeks are all about recovering, resting and doing just enough work to not lose any fitness. That's a fine line. I'm hoping I can pull it off and go into the race feeling good.

Saturday was a 7 hour workout - 30 minute swim, 100 mile bike and one hour run (a mini triathlon as Matt called it - our perspectives are out of whack). Today I swam 2 miles in the morning and ran 14 at IM goal pace (8:30) in the afternoon. I'm sore and tired, but the next two days are easy. Monday is a rest day and Tuesday is a swim only day so my legs get two solid days of recovery to start the taper.

As for the race, everything appears to be in place. My flight is booked. My PTO has been approved. Steve is picking me up from the airport and going to drive the course with me (all I had to do was offer to buy him a Frosty from Wendy's...what a deal). And here's where I'm staying (I think)...



My training went well. My nutrition is in place. My new formula of Infinit showed up yesterday. Robb offered to loan me deep dish wheels. Dennis is hooking me up with latex tubes (surprisingly hard to get a hold of this year) and the world's fastest tires. It's all coming together.

As much as I enjoy training and pushing myself to see what I'm capable of, it's been a long year (so far I've trained 500 hours since Jan 1). It's tough to continue training hard after Ironman Wisconsin. Most people have stopped training, and now it's getting cold. My goals for IMWI next year are very aggressive so I have a lot more hard work ahead of me so what I'm looking forward to most of all is post race...

No comments: