11.26.2007

Becomming a swimmer

Now that I realized I need to use my legs more, my swimming has improved quite a bit. Tonight was probably my best swim ever. I did 2500 yards and my main set was all short intervals. I started with 10 x 100 on 1:50 (meaning I start my next set of 100 yards every 1:50). I managed to do every 100 yard set between 1:37 and 1:39 so I had about 11 to 13 seconds of rest between sets. I've never been so consistent. Then I rested for 3 minutes and did 8 x 50 on 1:00. This time I did every 50 yard set between :43 and :48. Not quite as consistent, but once I saw I was slipping a little I stepped it up and finished with my fastest 2 sets of the night - :44 and :43 respectively. Then I practiced a few flip turns. I didn't do flip turns during my sets because they still need some work. I haven't been practicing them lately so they've been getting sloppy...sloppier.

I'm really enjoying swimming these days. I feel like I'm starting to become a swimmer. It's fun. Now if I could just get over this knee pain I can become a runner too.

The snow is still holding off so I got in another lunch ride today. There's a chance of snow later in the week, and I'm hoping it's a light snow that melts quickly. I want to get out for a ride Saturday even though the high is only supposed to be 20. I think I'm going to get some lobster gloves for that ride. My gloves are decent, but if it gets any colder (it was about 35 when I rode today) my fingers are going to freeze.

Swim
Time = 1:00
Distance = 2500 yards

Bike
Time = 56:08
Distance = 16.28
Ave Speed = 17.4
Max Speed = 36
Elevation Gain = 804 ft.


1 comment:

Burrito Eater said...

Good job! I am glad you've bailed on the running so you can heal up...25 is about the lowest I'll ride, high of 20 usually means at some point in your ride it will be 15 or less. But if it's sunny it can make all the difference in the world.