10.22.2013

First year coaching

I had a question about my coaching on one of my recent posts, so I thought I'd write a quick post about that.

This year I decided to give coaching a try.  I took on a few athletes and gave it a go to see if I enjoyed it and if I was good at it.  With the season being nearly over, I can now look back and say that things went very well.  They actually went a little better than I'd hoped for.  

From sprint distance up to Ironman, my athletes set several PRs this year.  To highlight some of the bigger ones, I had two athletes set big PRs at the half ironman distance.  One of them reached a goal he set in 2009 of breaking 5 hours by going 4:41 and taking 4th in his age group. This same athlete went 10:42 at Ironman Wisconsin, setting a 44 minute PR and taking 9th in his age group. I had another athlete set a 24 minute PR at a half ironman also breaking the 5 hour mark for the first time with a 4:47.  And I had one other athlete set a 16 minute PR at Ironman Wisconsin breaking the 12 hour mark for the first time.

With my first year of coaching being a success, I have decided to continue coaching.  My strength as a coach is power, so I’m focusing on triathletes training with power for 2014.  I’m only going to be coaching a small number of athletes so I can give each athlete plenty of attention and feedback.  I have a few athletes on board for 2014 already so I only have a couple of spots open, but if anyone is interested you can email me at mdwolfgram146 at gmail dot com.

Up next – I’m racing the Beach to Battleship half ironman this weekend so I wrote a post about my training and goals for that race. 

  


No comments: