9.06.2012

Beyond Wisconsin


It's early Thursday morning on race week.  packet pick up for IMWI opens today.  I've made the mistake of going to packet pick up on my lunch break in the past and I won't be doing that this year.  The lines are way too long.  Instead, I'm going to swim at lunch and pick up my packet on my way home from work.  Then it's a short, easy brick workout tonight and some race prep.  I've gone over my bike so now it's time to start laying things out and making sure I have everything I need.  

I've had a distraction late in my IMWI training that has helped a lot - Ironman Cozumel.  I signed up about six weeks ago.  Courtney has been itching to go to Mexico.  I noticed IM Cozumel was still open and half-jokingly asked if she wanted to go to Cozumel in November.  The next thing I knew I was registered, flights and a hotel were booked and it was a done deal.

Training became a lot more fun after signing up for Cozumel.  I have two races to think about, and an opportunity to mix up my training a little and see what happens.  I'm looking forward to putting my Cozumel training plan together.  I also no longer have all my Kona eggs in one basket, which takes pressure off IMWI.  I can completely screw up WI and have another shot at Kona.   I like that.  I also have the opportunity of getting a slot in WI and racing Cozumel just for fun.  I like that too.

Then there's the best part - IMCOZ is part race, part vacation.  We're flying in late, a little later than I want, but flights were limited.  We'll arrive the day after Thanksgiving, 2 days before race day.  I'll have to hustle that day and get my packet, get to the hotel and get my bike built right away.  It's not ideal, but I think it will work.  We're staying several days after the race so once the racing is done, I'm on vacation.  

In fact, the vacation doesn't end in Cozumel.  I've decided to take two full weeks off training after this race....and that means absolutely no training - no fun rides or runs....nothing but rest for two full weeks.  After that, I'm doing two weeks of whatever I want.  I'll train when I want and however I want....and if I don't feel like it, I won't train for the day.  I've been training hard for a  few years now and I think a break will do me good - physically and mentally.  The timing is perfect for a break since it will be over the holidays and training can be tough to fit in that time of year anyway. 


Tomorrow I'll post what I think it's going to take to qualify in M35-39 and how to track me on race day.          

No comments: